Sunday, August 12, 2007

eating some very local food

Yesterday and today, I've been enjoying fruit from the yard. Marian came over, and we ate figs, with goat cheese. (Don't worry: I don't have goats in the yard. I got that at the store.) Delicious. I'm liking learning to eat figs well.

We made 'em into a little pizza, too. A splendid combination of savory and sweet. The rosemary from the yard set it off perfectly.

(We made a tomato and basil pizza, too, but didn't take a picture. It was good, but nothin' like figs and goat cheese. Marian told me: "They can't all be figs and goat cheese." I should just be delighted that it was fresh and tasty.)
Tonight, I had my first corn from the garden. My favorite summertime meal: a blt and fresh corn. Good stuff.

6 comments:

Marian said...

I was so glad to join you for that meal. Those figs and cheese were so tasty. MMMM!

Orangeblossoms said...

When are you going to get the goats?

Just askin'....

Molly Vetter said...

I want chickens but my dear spouse says no. I'm thinking goats would be a louder "no." He notes that it's illegal in our city. I note that our neighborhood has much bigger problems that some hens. But, I've never been so much of an animal care-giver, so maybe it's for the better.

Perhaps I can just convince ForeverKC to get chickens at her house...

karen said...

Like most things in my life right now, the chickens must wait a year until I graduate.

Once I can be in San Diego seven days a week to tend them, then it will be easier for me to make a case for them.

But, if you want to start designing and building the coop, perhaps it can be ready by May!

Krista S. Givens said...

BTW Mol, every time I pull up your site a song rings in my ears and I think you should add it to your profile:
"There's Your Trouble" by the Dixie Chicks

St. Inuksuk said...

So wonderful to enjoy the "fruits of your labor" (pun intended) and to savor something fresh from or ripe off the vine from the garden.
Mmmmmmmmmm!
My tomatoes are ripening and I've enjoyed basil, parsley, chives and look forward to all the other herbs.